Route information, rules and kit list
The Warrington Way starts and finishes in the lovely Cheshire village of Lymm, about 5 miles east of Warrington. The route takes in the villages/areas of Warburton, Rixton, Birchwood, Winwick, Burtonwood, Bold, Penketh, Sankey Bridges, Moore, Appleton, Hatton, Stretton and High Legh before returning to Lymm. There are four stages, with checkpoints at about 10, 20 and 30 miles which are also the changeover points for pairs/relay teams:
• Start and finish: Lymm (Maple Lodge Scout Centre, May Queen Field Drive, off Pepper St, Lymm, WA13 0JG)
• Checkpoint 1 – 10 miles: Houghton Green (car park of Plough Inn, Mill Lane, Houghton Green, WA2 0SU)
• Checkpoint 2 – 20 miles: Widnes (car park of White Moss Garden Centre and Nursery, Widnes Rd,Widnes, WA8 3TZ)
• Checkpoint 3 – 30 miles: Hatton (grass verge at corner of Pillmoss Lane/Hatton Lane, Hatton, WA4 4DQ)
Runners MUST follow the whole route – this is NOT a point to point event. There may be “flying” marshal checks at some clearly signposted intervening points on the route, with marshals who will record entrant’s race numbers and time. It is runners’ responsibility to ensure they are recorded at each checkpoint and at any flying marshal checks.
There is a kitlist which is MANDATORY for solo runners and ADVISORY for pairs and relay teams. This and more information are in the race rules, which all runners should read – see the download link below.
The route is NOT fully waymarked, though there are green/white tape markers at least every 0.5 miles and at all junctions on the route to help to guide you. Nevertheless, runners MUST be able to navigate around the route. All runners are provided at registration with a four page colour OS map of the route with an accompanying narrative route description. You can download the route description, maps, and GPX/TCX files below and see the route on the MapMyRun website.
• WW 2016 stage 1 map– Lymm to Houghton Green
• WW 2016 stage 2 map – Houghton Green to Widnes
• WW 2016 stage 3 map– Widnes to Hatton
•WW 2016 stage 4 map – Hatton to Lymm
• Route as a GPX file for GPS devices (right click on link and select ‘Save as’ to save the file on your PC)
• Route as a TCX file for Garmin GPS devices (right click on link and select ‘Save as’ to save the file on your PC)
• Route on MapMyRun website
• Warrington Way 2016 race rules V1.0